Doxey is a small community on the western side of Stafford with a population of about 3,000. Although not much more than a mile from the centre of Stafford, its identity has been maintained by being physically separated from the rest of Stafford. On the north there is the river Sow and the renowned Doxey Marshes on the south is an area of low lying agricultural lands leading towards Stafford Castle. Modern transport links have accentuated this isolation, railways were built to the north (Euston-Glasgow main line) and south (Stafford-Shrewsbury line - long closed, now the 'Greenway') and the M6 motorway now provides a natural western boundary. There has only ever been a single road running through the village and use of that was restricted by two (now only one) awkward railway bridges - even now a sharp snow fall leaves Stafford isolated !
There is some uncertainty about the origin of the the name Doxey but it seems that it was originally Dokesei (This may be "Ducks Island" - a reference to the fact that the centre of Doxey would have been surrounded by marsh). In the Doomsday Book it is spelt Dochesig.
The earliest map (with any real detail)
Note - No road as such between Doxey & Stafford, path avoids low area near present day 'Universal car park'
The main road is shown with Doxey Brook (marked River Sow !) going N/S and the road to Stafford going right.
The Tithe Maps showed all property in app 1827. It was created to enable tithes (payments) to the local church to be apportioned.
All of Staffordshire Tithe Maps are (2017) due to be digitised in the next two(?) years.
Ordnance Survey Maps prior to 1950 are available on the website of the National Library of Scotland.
Four editions are available : nominally for 1880, 1900, 1922 and 1938 - some additions are not fully mapped (eg 158-177 Doxey)
Until the end of the 19th century Doxey comprised a few agricultural dwellings but then there was a spate of development of well-built terraced and semi-detached houses which were aimed at the better-off working class who were working on the railways or at the expanding engineering companies in the area. Most of these houses can be seen between 'Universal' and the 'The Three Tuns' and are always much sought after. Development continued until WW2 with expansion along the road towards the town boundary (Greensome Lane).
After the war there were major developments of council houses on the Drive and the main Doxey (now Broad Meadows) estate. The houses were pre-fabricated semis with large gardens - these were mixed blessings - for every enthusiastic gardener there was at least one who found the area difficult to maintain.
At the end of the eighties the main estate was re-developed as the 'Broad Meadows' estate with twice the previous building density and much of it is now managed by Housing Associations. The houses in the Drive are still there having been extensively modernised at the same time.
During the sixties and seventies new houses were built in Doxey Fields (then in Seighford parish) and on the area overlooking the marshes to the north of Greensome Lane. Further developments have taken place with building on the sites of "Durber's Yard" (Manor Park), the Doxey Institute in Doxey Crescent (Mayfields) and Venables Timber Yard (Virginia Park) as well as 'green field' sites (Baxter Green and Meadow Rise).
The decline of the 'Universal' (see below) has meant that much of its land has become available for housing (Castle View, Mallard Walk). Finally the proposals to develop the land between Doxey and the old railway line have been successful. Click here for more details
Until the first World War employment in Doxey itself was mainly agricultural. Doxey residents would be working on the railway or in the various engineering and manufacturing companies in Stafford
The two companies that provided closer employment were Universal and Venables
When the 1989-91 re-development took place the old street names were kept although they were in different places.
Older residents still object to the road through Doxey being referred to as 'Doxey
Road'. As far as they (we!) are concerned Doxey Road is from the Mill to the start of the late Victorian houses (by Reed Drive).
The road through Doxey is just 'Doxey'. The councillor for Doxey
for many years - Mavis Kelleghan (Mayor of Stafford in 1981) was very definite on this point.
However historically the road from Stafford to the area of Greensome Lane was 'Doxey Road' as it was the road to 'Doxey' - ie the small hamlet between the White House and Aston Bank Farm. Only when Doxey expanded towards the town (and when house numbering started) were the road and the village both called 'Doxey.'
.. and it is more specific to say 'The area just south of Doxey Road' than 'The area just south of Doxey'
Providing additional part-time employment and a service to many car mechanics (amateur and professional) was Durber's scrapyard which operated for many years after the war. Spare parts for many obsolete vehicles could be obtained, often 'pick-your-own'. The area has now been built on (Manor Park) and we have to make-do with Halfords!
|Amended : 22-11-19|