Doxey is served by the Number 12 Arriva Midlands bus service between Doxey and Stafford Town Centre. It runs every 30 minutes during the day. (Timetable- Feb 2017)
There is also the D & G Number 13 from Stafford Station to Stone (via Seighford & Norton Bridge) which goes though Doxey 4 or 5 times a day on Monday - Saturday (TimeTable)
Stafford Station (1.5miles 2.2km) is on the West Coast Main Line and provides frequent services to London, Birmingham, Manchester, Penkridge etc.
The road through Doxey generally follows the line of the old road out to Seighford and Derrington. In 1962 there was a major upheaval as the M6 was extended south towards Birmingham with the opening of the "Stafford Bypass". Doxey is the site of a motorway maintenance area (between junctions 13 & 14) and is used as an access point for the emergency services.
[On some maps of the period the M6 is referred to as the 'Preston Bypass' , thus reflecting the novelty of Britain's first 'motorway']
Doxey is about an hour away (road traffic permitting) from Birmingham, Manchester, East Midlands and Liverpool airports.
Doxey has had close connections to the railways since the early 19th century. The main London - Crewe line was built across Doxey Marshes in 1837, much work and ballast was required to provide a firm foundation. This line was electrified in 1967 (resulting in the improvement(!) of the Bridge near Castletown).
The Stafford - Newport - Shrewsbury line was built in 1849 and was closed in the Beeching cuts in 1964. The route of the line is now established as the 'Greenway' (part of the The way for the Millennium ) for walkers and cyclists who can follow it through Derrington to Haughton and Gnosall to Newport.
There was also a line that went from Stafford to Uttoxeter via Stafford Common and Weston. This line is now provides a footpath [Doxey Link] from Doxey Road in Castletown across the entrance to the Marshes, passing under Eccleshall and Stone Roads.to Common Road. This section line served RAF Stafford until the 1970s , long after the rest of line to Uttoxeter had been closed in 1957.
|Amended : 31-03-17||TOP|