A Roll of Honour for the men of Doxey who fell in the Great War of 1914-1918
Today Doxey is a civil and ecclesiastical parish in the town of Stafford with over 1,200 houses and a population of around 2,500. A century ago it was much smaller.
The census of 1911 lists 427 people as living in 106 houses along what is now the main road. Some of the houses were unoccupied on census day so the total resident population might have been a little higher, perhaps 450.
The village had been part of Seighford parish since the Middle Ages and was mentioned as Dochesig in the Domesday Book of 1086. Most of the houses had been built fairly recently, between 1890 and 1910.
The present system of numbering the houses consecutively -- beginning on the southern side of the road travelling west from Stafford towards Seighford and then turning back to continue along the north side -- had not been adopted in 1911.
Instead, most houses had names or were numbered as part of terraces with names that are no longer used. Number 50, Doxey still bears a faint sign indicating Hawthorne Terrace. Opposite was Ventnor Terrace including the present houses from the junction with The Crescent to the top of the bank between the two modern sets of traffic lights.
Many of these houses still bear their original names, often with the years in which they were built. Only a few of these names are still used in official documents such as the electoral register.
In 1917 the Borough of Stafford was extended to include nearly all of these houses. A boundary post at the junction of Greensome Lane and the main road still marks the western extent of the town. This remained the boundary with Seighford civil parish until 2003.
From this small community at least ten men went to war between 1914 and 1918 never to return, or to come back so severely wounded that they died later.
Some are commemorated on the war memorial erected in St Chad's Church, Seighford, in 1919. Others are commemorated on the borough war memorial erected in Victoria Square, Stafford, in 1922. Some are commemorated on both.
Doxey itself has no memorial of its fallen. The village remained part of Seighford ecclesiastical parish until 1936. The present Church of St Thomas and St Andrew was not built until 1975.
It is hoped that a Roll of Honour for those from Doxey will be in place in time for the centenary of the Armistice in November 2018.