4 - Doxey in 1938 - 'Joined-up' Doxey
The period from 1923 to 1938 saw Doxey steadily expand. Universal Grinding Wheel increased in size and importance and became more influential in the area.
The ribbon development continued with houses being built along the road until it met up with the old hamlet at the junction with Greensome Lane. Most of the houses were semi-detached with large gardens although an number of bungalows were built on the southern side of the road. A lot the houses were built for rent – many being bought by the tenants in later years.
The first houses were built in Greensome Lane by Universal for their staff in 1935. The old lane to Tillington was starting a new life as a suburban road. The junction opposite Doxey House was moved further west from its original position. The gap between 5/7 and 9/11 Greensome Lane marks what was to become Conway Road. Universal also built a playing field between Greensome Lane and Doxey Brook on the land that would later become Doxey Fields.
(Staffordshire Past Track)
Sources – Ordinance Survey Maps
1. Stafford Past Track http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk
|Amended : 31-12-09||TOP|