The first decade of the 20th Century saw a major change in Doxey. The 'centre of gravity' moved eastwards from the small agricultural hamlet to a ribbon development stretching from Daisy Bank to the flat area near the railway bridge.
Nearly all the houses on this section of Doxey (Road) were built during
this period, the majority are closely built,
good-sized semi-detached or terraced houses with large rear gardens. A
small side road The Crescent had been started
with a row of smaller terraced houses.
New Testament Church of God. This building was demolished
in 2009 and replaced by the newer hall at the rear (pictures)
To go with this residential development a small prefabricated St Andrews Church was built (in 1914 at a cost of £127 10s 10d) and a Post Office established in what became the Doxey Arms. The house that became the Three Tuns public house was, in 1923, the westernmost outpost of the new Doxey. The Doxey Institute in the The Crescent was established as a reading room and to generally promote self-improvement.
The Universal Grinding Wheel Company was now operating from the Doxey works and many of the employees lived locally. The extraction of sand and gravel from 'Redfern's land' between the new houses and the main railway line was quite extensive.
Doxey Institute (Demolished in 1998 to build Mayfields)
b- house which became 'Three Tuns'
c- Daisy Bank.
House 'd' has been replaced with a pair of semi-detached houses.
All (?) houses on right hand side still there.
View from road by Doxey Arms looking west.
Doxey Arms is just visible on the extreme right edge of the photo
|Amended : 24-09-17||TOP|