Note : The maps give an impression of the area before the first railway was built in 1837. The exact line of the Sow is uncertain as is the line of the road towards Stafford. The footpaths existed in 1880 but may not have done in 1830.
In 1830 Doxey was a
small hamlet in the parish of Seighford just over a mile from the
centre of Stafford. It was an agricultural society with two or
three farmers (mainly) renting the fields south of the river Sow.
The road from Stafford ran through the area going on to Aston and
Seighford, fording Doxey Brook where the bridge is today. The line
of the road to Stafford was basically the same as today except that
there was a'dog leg' around the small stream south of the school
where 'Daisy Bank' is now.
In addition Greensome Lane crossed the marshes via a ford over the Sow to Tillington. The line of of the lane can still be identified today by the slightly raised causeway both sides of the railway line. The marshes were grazed when not under water and there were 'Willow' and 'Osier' plantations providing material for fencing and basketmaking. There were also footpaths to Castlechurch and Seighford
Many of the field boundaries of the time can still be followed today; for example the 'Meadow Rise' development is built on a field called 'The Bank' in 1839. Field names are sometimes remembered in House Names 'Far Field' was the the farthest field from the farm, where the Universal Social Club is now.
All the dwellings of the time are still there. Some have been extensively modified
Aston Bank Farm
2. Brook House Farm
3. The White House (146)
4. Cottages (144/145)
6. Doxey House (147)
Doxey c1830 - Enlarged map showing approx position of buildings.
The only other major building in the area was a large barn near where the western end of The Drive is today. There were sand, gravel and marl pits all around the area and the sites of some of these are still visible.
There were also 4 large ponds, one at the present entrance to Doxey fields, two either side of the lane to Brook House Farm and one where the church is today.
One of these is shown in a drawing 'Stafford - View at Doxey' by Henry Curzon Allport (c1820) now held in the William Salt Library. The identity of the cottage is uncertain - it might be the White House (with a degree of artistic licence !). Description: 'Doxey near Stafford,' showing a cottage among trees. Cattle are standing by a pool in the foreground. Artist: 'H. C. A.,' [Henry Curzon Allport]. Date:1788 - 1855 (c.)
Webmaster Note: This drawing is owned by the William Salt Library - we asked if we could display the picture on this website. They have asked for a £ 25 fee for this. I feel that this is unreasonable for a community site. So we are not displaying it. However click on the following link to view it. click here [Stafford - View at Doxey : pencil drawing]
|Amended : 23-09-17||TOP|